I was a single parent not getting child support. I needed to care for my son and give him proper medical care when he might need it. I also thought that I could advance my education. So I joined the United States Army. But after only weeks into basic training I realized what I had signed up for. I signed on that line stating my body belonged to the military and I was more then a person in a crowd, I was a person that would risk my life to save a whole country. I could and would be an important unnoticed protector. WOW. It scared me, but it made me feel like I was born for a reason; a person that had purpose.
I learned that it wasn't all about me and my son, it was about being a unit, one person can make a difference, but it takes a unit to make and take a stance, to enforce that difference. I am proud that I served 8 1/2 years. If I had not been injured and discharged due to the fall, I would have stayed until I could stay no more, My Dad served over 35 years in the United States Air Force. Now here is the funny TRUE story of what happened when I joined.
I climbed off the bus and this man that was on the bus with me offered to help me carry my luggage off. There was a man in a drill sergeant's hat standing outside of the bus. He started yelling at the guy asking him why he carried paisley colored bag, the guy pointed back to me. I was already caring my sun lamp, an over night matching paisley bag and my purse. I gave the guy in the hat the, rolled eye, look. The guy in the funny hat, (drill sergeant) pointed at my sun lamp and asked me what that was? I said a sun lap. He looked kinda shocked. What are you going to do with that? Now I knew that he was not all there. I said sarcastically, Oh I don't know maybe keep my perfect tan going, I mean if I have to wear those stupid brown tee shirts IN THE SUN!!! for goodness sakes, I was not going to get a tee shirt tan. His face softened and seemed like he understood. OH he said and all this luggage? Well, we are going to be here 6 weeks so I did condense, but I needed my clothes and overnight bag and makeup bag of course my purse, and look, I told him, I tried to make it match the greens, browns and blacks I will be wearing. He shook his head and said WOW I see, you came prepared. I shook my head. He said well with all the people coming in, I would hate your stuff come up missing so I have a place you can keep it and it will be locked up till you need it. WOW I said thank you. So he personally took me over to the cage and had me put EVERYTHING in there, including my purse. I said are you sure all of it? He said yes we have some activities coming up that it would just be in your way. That was the last I saw all the stuff it I graduated. GRRRRR. haha I needed my make up, so when we got to go to the PX I picked up my mascara and lipstick. The drill sergeant found it and took it. I then found a much better eye lash darkener. The drill the next day was making his inspection of us. We all were standing at attention and he looked at me and said, Private, I KNOW YOU HAVE MAKEUP ON! I said no Drill Sergeant. He tore apart my bunk, my closet and my buddies stuff also, (we have to have buddies. What one does both are blamed for. Keeps you concerned for what you do, so you don't get the other person upset with you too) She wasn't happy.
I was called Private Benjamin, Jeanne-I-Joe. And the other one that was imbarressing, RamBreast. But after all was said and done, we learned that things can't be done when you are just YOU, you have to have that partner that unit that group, then things can be done. As a team you are a force. It is important that we have these people that are willing to DIE for our country, The ones that are injured or die, well they are the ones that should the TRUE sacrifice. Them and THEIR FAMILIES. We forget the families that suffer.
Oh and about 2 years later I was in-processing ANCO AND BNCO, (Advance Non Commission Officers, and Basic Non Commission Officers) And I was making a comment about making sure that they finished the paper work correctly and that I was not an idiot and would know and they couldn't get away with things like I got away with my drill sergeant. WELL guess who was there? My drill sergeant. I was soooo embarrassed. He laughed. We went out for a drink afterward that evening. He told me when he first met me he and his buddies and wife, (she was a drill also, oh and thats another story how I met her) Anyway, he said we knew you wouldn't make it through Basic, yet you finish 3 in physical training and 5 in studies. You did great. But I have one question, he said, I have had hundreds of kids go through basic training, but you were the only one that through me for a loop. Where did you put the mascara you used. I laughed, and said right in front of you, I used the "rubadub" pen we each "had" to have to mark all of our clothing, it worked great for a permanent color.
No comments:
Post a Comment